[Asterisk-Users] Port density: DS3 cards?

Linus Surguy linus at magrathea-telecom.co.uk
Thu Dec 4 15:34:02 MST 2003

I don't want to criticize your idea, but you do have to consider certain
points. Starting from (as has already been mentioned) the bandwidth of DS3
is far too much to reasonably shove down the PCI bus without data loss /
excessive overheads. Thus a sensible approach would be one where the card
performs the switching, (H100/H110 or otherwise), leaving the Asterisk unit
to maybe handle signalling and call control only. You could go one further,
and if you require 'voice' resource, to switch that onto the PCI bus as well
for processing.

The way I see this, the best implementation plan would actually be to take a
standard DS3 card with a H110/H100 bus, and then look for a third party card
which could switch timeslots on the H110/H100 bus to the PCI bus. This
composite approach would allow a zero latency switching path, but still
include the flexibility of Asterisk.

However, considering the traffic volumes that you are talking about, is it
really true to say that the traditional telco cards are astronomically
priced, given the amount of revenue that can be generated per month on a
DS3?

Linus