[Asterisk-Users] Operating environment for *

Scott Stingel scott at evtmedia.com
Thu Dec 4 15:08:06 MST 2003

Answering question number 5 only:

My customer's system is an extremely busy IVR, used in a game-show call-in
environment, with short calls and high peak call rates.  The maximum number
of ports so far that my system can handle, with a single fast P4 processor,
is 4 E1 spans (one E400P).  Even at this size of 120 channels, I experience
some dropped calls and channel lock-outs (which recover every few minutes).
However, there are three pieces of good news that should improve the
situation:

(1) There apparently is a bug is how the code buffers the frames on the E1
ports - an overflow causes many re-tries and possibly lost calls (in my
experience).  Mark and Martin at Digium are aware of the problem, and are
currently looking into it.  I will let you know what they find.

(2) I've had good luck so far using a dual-Xeon processor board and Redhat's
Fedora Linux.  I have an IVR load-tester and the results are very
encouraging.  In a couple weeks I'll have results from the field.

(3) Digium's TE410P has the ability to be a bus-master.  This produces some
minor performance gains in my tests.

When all three of these things are incorporated into an environment, I think
you could probably expect that the dual-Xeon setup could handle as many as 8
or more E1 spans in a heavy load IVR environment.

Please let me know if you need my load tester script, as I'm happy to share
it.

Good luck!
Scott

Scott M. Stingel