[Asterisk-Users] OpenENUM

Brian West brian at bkw.org
Wed Dec 3 23:59:33 MST 2003

> 1) authenicating numbers - JT correctly pointed out, you can't allow people
> to call you to verify as caller id can be spoofed. He proposed a group of
> asterisk servers calling for verification. I was going to write into this
> advertising info so you could get businesses to do the calling for you eg
> "you will be contact by an * server, sponsored by blah <insert small banner
> or link>"

I just got off the phone with jtodd.  We both agree an outcall is the best
method or a combination out call + email verify.

> 2) DNS - IMO, bind just won't work - PowerDNS or similar I'd suggest,
> dumping a zone file from mysql when you reach large numbers of entries
> doesn't scale

The idea was to delegate into global zones.  Each managed by either one
entitiy or delegate them out.  This is still on the table.

> 3) You need to work out a good and easy way to verify companies (ranges of
> numbers). Targetting the single line people I don't think will yield you
> enough numbers.

This would require faxing of a bill or something similar to how number
portability is done now.

> 4) I think you need to allow users to either point their entry to their DNS
> or make an easy interface that will generate an entry for them. Don't force
> them to enter raw E164 entries (but let them if they really want to)

I don't know at this time if its a good idea or not.  Its something that
needs to be hashed out for sure.

> 5) make a non profit organisation, or you'll get sued personally.

Thats for sure... Death, Taxes and Getting sued... the American way?

> good luck, I'm sure JT will have a few comments (probably cursing my name)

Yes he had alot of good input.

Thanks,
Brian