[Asterisk-Users] Replicating Legacy Phone Behavior

Greg Boehnlein damin at nacs.net
Wed Dec 3 19:00:34 MST 2003

Hello,
	I was demonstrating Asterisk capabilities with a SIP Soft phone to
a Key system installer yesterday, and we were discussing where Asterisk
can fit into that market. He brought up some interesting, user-centric
questions which I couldn't answer. I didn't find anything in google that
realy addressed some of these questions, so I figured I would post them
here to see what yall have to say. Hopefully, someone has already answered
this and they can point me to a link or some documentation that I can
review.
	First and foremost, these Key System installers are big believers
in VoIP and convergence technologies. While the KSU vendors may see
Asterisk as competition, the installers on the ground see it as an
excellent addition to help connect remote offices and workers together,
but they are driven by the needs of their customers, most of whom want to
KISS (Keep It Simple, Stupid). I.E. they want an Asterisk based VoIP
solution to work in a similar manner to their existing PBX or Phone
System.
	As a result, these are some of the questions that they threw at me
that I am trying to figure out:

1. Legacy KSU and PBX users are used to seeing blinking lights on their
phone that indicate outside lines in use, call on hold, voice mail
waiting, do not disturb etc.. Is it possible to have these features using
SIP phones on the dekstop? I.E. if a user puts a caller on hold at one
extension, can it blink a light on all extensions so that user can be
picked up at another extension? This gets into issues regarding
re-training people with new phones etc.. Kind of like the issue of "I
don't want to press enter to make a call.. Why can't this phone just work
like my old analog phone?"

2. How does one go about creating call queues and advanced features such
as UCD and ACD using Asterisk?

3. Is it possible to do Phone to Phone paging with SIP phones? This is a
feature that I personally use a lot on my Legacy Phone System. I simply
hit the extension of the persion I want to chat, and it beeps their phone
and we can talk. Sort of like an Intercom system.

Thanks in advance for helping me to answer these questions!

                             KP-216-121-ST