[Asterisk-Users] Configuring new system for a non-profit organization

Howard White howwhi at vcch.com
Tue Dec 2 11:55:14 MST 2003

<bottom response = on>

On Tue, 2003-12-02 at 11:36, Michael Welter wrote:
> Hi,
>
> The PBX at the Colorado Organization for Victims' Assistance fried as a
> result of the building power being cycled.  I'm now in the process of
> building an * system to replace the failed PBX.  Minimum cost is the
> priority.
>
> I have a T100P card installed in the new system, and I am about to order
> integrated T1 services from the "CBeyond" company.  They will require
> eight voice channels and at least eight data (they presently have DSL.)
>   The rep. says that for the same cost ($520/mo) they will get all 24
> channels as data--the channels are dynamically allocated.  As each voice
> call is initiated, a channel will be pulled from data and used for voice.
>
> Can the T100P handle this dynamic allocation?  Or must the channels be
> fixed?
>
> Thank for your help,
> Michael Welter

Hi Mike,

The magic question to ask CBeyond is whether the T1 they provide you is
Primary Rate Interface (PRI) or Basic Rate Interface (BRI).  Their web
site is too heavy on pretty marketing and waaaay short on technical
details.  PRI gives you _23_ channels with a digital control channel
whereas BRI gives you 24 channels but with more basic (primative)
control.

Howard White