[Asterisk-Users] SIP behind NAT: NAT'ted end has to talk first?

Brian Capouch brianc at palaver.net
Tue Dec 2 11:14:24 MST 2003

I am having problems in a couple of installations where I have SIP
phones (both GS101 and ATA186) connecting to an asterisk box that has a
public IP address, where the stations are behind NAT.

I'm still testing to make sure I have all the permutations looked at,
but from what I can tell, what is happening is that in situations where
stations behind the NAT call out, no audio is passed until after the
party on the PUBLIC side generates some audio.

So that means if I call from the public side to one of the NAT boxes, I
can't hear them answer.  But when (while watching the console) I can see
that the call has been bridged, I quickly hail them with a "Hello," then
the RTP stream starts going and everyone is happy.

I have the exact same problem using iconnecthere when I call out (to the
PSTN) from stations behind NAT: I see the call bridge on the console; my
party answers but I don't hear it, nor do they hear me until I say
something, and at that point the RTP stream starts up.

This must be evidence of something wrong with the way the initial RTP
stream is commenced when SIP stations are behind NAT.

Does anyone know what's going on, or of course better, what I can do to
rectify this?

Thanks.

B.