[Asterisk-Users] IAXTEL configuration for new iaxtel users.

Robert Mann asterisk at easyway.com
Tue Dec 2 10:44:38 MST 2003

After battling for days trying to figure out what was wrong with my iax.conf it was determined that I do not have any inkeys set on the digium server.  Now whether that is something new or just in a few cases I am not sure.  Messing around and reading on IRC and the mailing list I could get certain things to work and then break other things.  Now I can dial a IAXTEL number, 800 number and FWD numbers using the IAXTEL service.  The iaxtel configuration I am now using is.

iax.conf

[general]
register       => iaxuser:iaxpass at iaxtel.com

; For some reason be it a bug or a feature from what I have read
; the iaxtel context must be the last thing in your iax.conf file.
[iaxtel]
type           = user
host           = iaxtel.com
context        = incoming-iaxtel
disallow       = all                             ; My preference YMMV
allow          = gsm                             ; My preference YMMV
deny           = 0.0.0.0/0.0.0.0
permit         = 69.73.19.178/255.255.255.255

extensions.conf

[general]
IAXTELUSERNAME = iaxuser
IAXTELPASSWORD = iaxpass
IAXTELUSERID   = 1700XXXXXXX

[incoming-iaxtel]
exten          => s,1,Dial(Zap/3,20)             ; Change to something that works for you.
exten          => s,2,Hangup                     ; You could add voicemail here.

[macro-iaxtel]
exten          => s,1,Dial(IAX/${IAXTELUSERNAME}:${IAXTELPASSWORD}@iaxtel.com/${ARG1}@iaxtel)
exten          => s,2,Playback(invalid)
exten          => s,3,Hangup

[outbound]
exten          => _1700NXXXXXX,1,macro(iaxtel,${EXTEN})
exten          => _1800NXXXXXX,1,macro(iaxtel,${EXTEN})
exten          => _1866NXXXXXX,1,macro(iaxtel,${EXTEN})
exten          => _1877NXXXXXX,1,macro(iaxtel,${EXTEN})
exten          => _1888NXXXXXX,1,macro(iaxtel,${EXTEN})

Before I get a chewing for the spacing in my config files. This works for me without any problems just fine.  People are always telling me you can not have spaces in your config files like this but I have no issues with it.  I understand that there might be places in the config files where spaces are not allowed nor appropriate but so far I have not had issues with the spacing I use.  For email purposes I have formatted this with Courier New at 10 and it looks right in the email message.  If you have other defaulted fonts and can not change them in this message then my apologies.

This configuration comes from different sources with just slight changes but is now finally working on my end.  If you can not receive calls from IAXTEL either from someone on the outside calling you or calling your own IAXTEL number and getting a call waiting beep and you have inkeys somewhere in your iax.conf configuration for IAXTEL then change your configuration to this and see if you have better results.  Remember to change your context to something that is valid for your setup.

Not sure if someone else has any suggestions to add to this but at some point we should add this to the iax.conf sample config file so that new users understand and use the correct configuration.  The samples still show the inkeys for use with RSA and another example for pre RSA but neither look like this one.  Not sure why RSA is not being used anymore or if there is just a problem with the IAXTEL signup server but at least this works for now.

My macros are a lot more complicated but I shortened them up here for easy reading.  You don't necessarily need to use macros but in my case I use them for just about everything.  They can shorten your extensions.conf file many lines by eliminating repetitive code and make for less admin errors not to mention then you only have to make the change in one place.

Robert