[Asterisk-Users] How to restart * thru phone "when convenient"

Steven Critchfield critch at basesys.com
Tue Dec 2 07:30:35 MST 2003

On Tue, 2003-12-02 at 07:44, Philipp von Klitzing wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> here is my attempt to initiate a "restart when convenient" from a
> software SIP phone.
>
> exten => 588,1,Answer
> exten => 588,2,Wait(1)
> exten => 588,3,Playback(restart-convenient)
> exten => 588,4,Wait(1)
> exten => 588,5,Authenticate(00000)
> exten => 588,6,System(/usr/sbin/asterisk -rx "restart when convenient")
> exten => 588,7,Hangup
>
> The problem: We never reach the "convenient" state because the SIP client
> will stay connected until priority 6 has been executed - so I locked
> myself in basically. Any suggestion how to accomplish this? With "restart
> now" there is no problem, but that's not what I want...

You could use "at" to issue the command at a deferred time. You could
always determine what you think is causing trouble that needs a restart
and fix it. You could cron this so it happens regularly and therefore
doesn't need a phone call to do it.

> BTW: Where exactly is the difference between Hangup and Softhangup()?

Hangup is something done in the course of the dialplan and works on the
current channel where softhangup is a cli command that works on a named
channel.