[Asterisk-Users] Asterisk and Cisco 7960

Andrew Gillham gillham at vaultron.com
Fri Aug 29 19:58:11 MST 2003

Ben Wern wrote:

> I'm trying to get my Cisco 7960 configured to work with Asterisk, with
> no luck. I'm sure I'm missing something very easy... since I know
> others have this working. I've stepped through Andy Powell's excellent
> "Getting Started with Asterisk", and it works for my X-Lite softphone.
> My sip.conf entry for the cisco looks like this:
>
>     [cisco]
>     type=friend
>     username=cisco
>     secret=1234
>     host=dynamic
>     defaultip=[The IP of the 7960]
>     mailbox=9999
>     context=sip
>     callerid="Ben" <1>

Use something like:
[1000]
callerid="Ben" <1000>
context=sip
type=friend
secret=1234
host=dynamic
defaultip=youraddress
mailbox=1000

Optionally:
qualify=500
canreinvite=no
nat=yes

> And the related extensions.conf entry:
>
>     exten => 1,1,Dial(SIP/cisco,20,tr)

You might want this to be:
exten => 1000,1,Dial(SIP/1000 at 1000,20,tr)

> The Cisco config itself.. Line 1 is set for FWD. Line 2 is:

Make sure you didn't set the 'outbound proxy' setting on the phone, that
will force everything to the proxy.

> Name: cisco
> Shortname: cisco
> Authentication Name: cisco
> Authentication Password: 1234
> Display Name: cisco
> proxy address: [The IP of my Asterisk installation]
> proxy port: 5060

Set all the 'cisco' entries to '1000' in this case.

I have several 7960s working with Asterisk, so I can help you out more
if you need it.

-Andrew