[Asterisk-Users] SIP vs SCCP vs XML

John Todd jtodd at loligo.com
Mon Aug 25 17:48:46 MST 2003

>I'll start by mentioning that the newer Cisco SIP dumps
>let you hit "#" instead of "Dial" when you're done dialing,
>which I find to be much more intuitive than the "Dial"
>softbutton.
>
>>  Good question..   Does * support overlap dialing with SIP?
>>
>>  I have a feeling it does, I do vaguely remember getting an
>>  Address Incomplete response when not dialing enough
>>  digits.  I guess all you have to do is set your Cisco
>>  phone for overlap dialing.  Hopefully there is an option
>>  for it in is config.
>
>Even if Asterisk does the overlap stuff defined in RFC 3578,
>I seriously doubt you'll see the Cisco phones (or any hardware
>phones, for that matter) doing it. The overlap stuff is really
>designed for gateways from the PSTN, not end terminals.
>
>That said, there's nothing that would *prevent* implementing
>it in end devices. I note that it would cause an awful lot
>of signaling traffic if you did so, though.
>
>As a side note, I'll point out that the Pingtel phones let
>you provision client-side digitmaps. Based on asterisk-like
>pattern matching, you get to say how long a digit string
>should be matched, and the phone will automatically dial
>when it matches (no need to hit send!). You can even make
>different patterns go different places, like:
>
>972xxxxxxx : sip:{digits}@localprovider.net
>214xxxxxxx : sip:{digits}@localprovider.net
>489xxxxxxx : sip:{digits}@localprovider.net
>1xxxxxxxxxx : sip:{digits}@longdistanceprovder.net
>
>(To clarify: Dallas has three local area codes and 10 digit
>local dialing)
>
>/a

The Cisco ATA-186 and 79XX devices allow this as well, and you can
create fairly extensive lists.  However, I prefer to just let the
full string hit the Asterisk server, and let Asterisk decide if it's
useful or not.  Perhaps the only exceptions to that might be "0" and
"911"

As to prior comments about SCCP documentation: if you'd like to help
contribute to the SCCP channel project, it seems far from 'aborted'
at the moment.  Check out http://sourceforge.net/projects/sccp/  and
download the channel.  Compile, test, send bugs, submit code.

JT