[Asterisk-Users] SIP vs SCCP vs XML

Adam Roach adam at dynamicsoft.com
Mon Aug 25 16:40:59 MST 2003

I'll start by mentioning that the newer Cisco SIP dumps
let you hit "#" instead of "Dial" when you're done dialing,
which I find to be much more intuitive than the "Dial"
softbutton.

> Good question..   Does * support overlap dialing with SIP?
>
> I have a feeling it does, I do vaguely remember getting an
> Address Incomplete response when not dialing enough
> digits.  I guess all you have to do is set your Cisco
> phone for overlap dialing.  Hopefully there is an option
> for it in is config.

Even if Asterisk does the overlap stuff defined in RFC 3578,
I seriously doubt you'll see the Cisco phones (or any hardware
phones, for that matter) doing it. The overlap stuff is really
designed for gateways from the PSTN, not end terminals.

That said, there's nothing that would *prevent* implementing
it in end devices. I note that it would cause an awful lot
of signaling traffic if you did so, though.

As a side note, I'll point out that the Pingtel phones let
you provision client-side digitmaps. Based on asterisk-like
pattern matching, you get to say how long a digit string
should be matched, and the phone will automatically dial
when it matches (no need to hit send!). You can even make
different patterns go different places, like:

972xxxxxxx : sip:{digits}@localprovider.net
214xxxxxxx : sip:{digits}@localprovider.net
489xxxxxxx : sip:{digits}@localprovider.net
1xxxxxxxxxx : sip:{digits}@longdistanceprovder.net

(To clarify: Dallas has three local area codes and 10 digit
local dialing)

/a