[Asterisk-Users] Is Asterisk ready for "real" use?

John Schmerold john at katy.com
Mon Aug 25 11:15:18 MST 2003

*'s paging solution is a bad solution in light of today's phone systems.
  If you need it anywhere but in a barnyard, you should plan on
selecting a different phone system.  It might work in a Sams, but
certainly not in an office.

I like * & as soon as I find time to get it setup, I intend to use it in
our offices, but we don't use paging, I don't like paging.  There are
offices that use paging all day long to announce calls "Joe pickup on
line 2"

To answer your question, as I understand *'s paging implementation, you
assign an extension to be the "page extension", calls placed to this
extension are routed to Asterisk's sound card which can then be wired
into an amplifier & speakers where you want them.  As stated in
paragraph 1, this is fine for a barnyard or a Sam's (think barn with
stuff for sale).  It doesn't work in an office without putting speakers
in every nook & cranny of the office.