[Asterisk-Users] RTP header compression?

Kevin K asteriskk at hotmail.com
Thu Aug 21 22:27:46 MST 2003

Uh oh.  I think I may be looking at the wrong tool.

My goal is to implement (in an open source software suite) an RTP/UDP/IP
header compression algorithm that would save bandwidth used by voice traffic
packets.  So a 5ms G.711 packet that would otherwise be 98 bytes, could be
reduced to 62 bytes when its RTP/UDP/IP header is compressed.  This would
require me to get into the RTP stack used to packetize the actual data
(voice) packets.  From what I am reading, * is not the right software for
that kind of work because it don't really touch the voice packets themselves
but rather enables the two endpoints to talk to negotiate and connect with
each other (as well as utilize a number of other features - vmail, callerID,
etc).  Is this correct?

Is what I am looking for an open-sourced SIP user agent?  Or is it more than
that?

Any help would be great, as I appear to be confused.

Thanks,
Kevin