[Asterisk-Users] Provisioning CO lines

David Carr dac1 at drgutah.com
Thu Aug 21 15:37:13 MST 2003

> I love "out of the box" thinking.  What kind of business is it?

Market research call centers - but no telemarketing :)

> From who?

Originally, with a regional (western states) carrier called TelAmerica.
Later, I made myself the customer of record for a DS1 local loop to a major
central office where I can cross-connect to any one of hundreds of
long-distance providers. The local loop costs me $375 MRC, the cross-connect
fee is $6 MRC, and the telco charges me for usage only. If I decide I don't
like the service or billing from my telco then I can cross-connect to
someone new with a simple service order.

> To get the T1 and LD rate, how many minutes/month does your
> business do?  Clearly, you are getting some sort of volume
> discount that smaller business might not be able to match.

Right now we have 20 voice T1s with a million LD minutes per month so that
probably did play a role. But we did get that rate offered from many vendors
on a month-to-month contract with no committment to any one vendor in terms
of # of T1s, monthly spend, or call volume.

> 1. Does this violate some FCC rule since you're not paying
> certain fees (which are tied to local lines) on your LD T1?

I sure hope not. Now I wish I had gone to law school! My next post may be
from a dirty jail somewhere.

> 2. How does this handle 911?  Perhaps a POTS line and route "911"
> to it when someone dials it?

I neglected to mention that we also maintain a POTS line in each office for
outbound 911 calls and to route one local call at a time to save on LD
charges where we can (because I'm such a tightwad). Asterisk makes it easy
to route 7 digit dials & 800/877/888/866 calls out the one local line when
available and otherwise tack on the area code and overflow them into the
long-distance T1.