[Asterisk-Users] Provisioning CO lines

Steven Critchfield critch at basesys.com
Thu Aug 21 12:49:35 MST 2003

On Thu, 2003-08-21 at 14:38, David Carr wrote:
> I discovered and deployed a solution some would consider counter-intuitive.
> For whatever reason, I can get a dedicated long-distance T1 for about $400
> MRC ($16 per line) while a "local" T1 costs over $1,200 MRC ($50 per line).
> My telco automatically assumed I would want/need the local T1 for my local
> traffic but when I did the math it was all backwards.
>
> All inbound calls for a local T1 are free. However, most companies hook a
> toll-free number to ring through to their local number so many incoming
> calls cost the switched long-distance rate of 5 cents per minute. Outbound
> local calls are free too, but outbound long-distance calls were 5 cents per
> minute for switched long-distance.
>
> For the dedicated long-distance T1, all inbound and outbound calls cost 1.9
> cents per minute, even if you are calling a toll-free number or the company
> next door. Instead of having local DIDs, we simply got a huge supply of
> toll-free numbers, all with unique DNIS so we use them as DIDs for not only
> direct voice numbers but also direct fax numbers.
>
> The short story is that 90% of our outbound calls were long-distance and 90%
> of our incoming calls were toll-free so paying $800 more MRC and 3.1 cents
> more per minute for a local T1 made no sense. The break-even point is going
> to be different for everyone depending on your total call volume and the
> relative difference between costs for each type of line. For us, the
> break-even occured at around 40% local calls. What I mean is that if 40 or
> more percent of our inbound and outbound calls were to local numbers, then
> getting local calls for free benefits us enough so that a local T1 saves us
> money.

Thats very interesting. Do you mind mentioning the carrier you choose
for this? We have been trying to figure out how to save money for a
client of ours, and this sounds like the option for them. They have a
expanding clientele outside of the local calling zone and they are
paying for a 1800 number to forward to our local lines. If we could drop
in a long distance T1 that only was used for their remote customers that
cost less, we might be able to split the difference for a while with our
customer.