[Asterisk-Users] VoIP dialtone?

Mike Ciholas mikec at ciholas.com
Wed Aug 20 15:41:36 MST 2003

On Wed, 20 Aug 2003, Ernest W. Lessenger wrote:

> At 04:48 PM 8/20/2003 -0500, you wrote:
>
> >Now, if that is possible, how does the VoIP dial tone provider
> >get my inbound local and toll calls?  I would want my "local"
> >phone number to work, of course.
>
> You would need to redirect your local number to them. This
> ALWAYS assumes that the VoIP provider has a switch in your
> local CO or an agreement with someone who does. Vonage and
> Voicepulse, for example, do not have a presence in my area. I
> intend to maintain several POTS lines for incoming calls, and
> use a VoIP provider for all outgoing calls.

Oh well.  I'm would expect no one would have presence here.
This sounds so suboptimal, you have to provision *two* systems,
one for inbound (local CO) and one for outbound (VoIP provider).
Of course, the outbound can be just your internet connection, but
this still seems annoying because most of the money is in the
local CO service.

Hmm, perhaps *all* incoming calls can be toll free?  I would
maintain the one local CO POTS line for 911 out bound, and then
only use my toll free number for inbound.  For the money I would
save on local CO lines I can buy a *lot* of toll free minutes!
Then the VoIP dial tone provider can route my toll free number to
me over the internet.  Presumably, then, there is no real limit
on the number of "lines" coming in.  It isn't hard coded like the
CO lines are.

This all seems pretty fanciful at the moment...

--
Mike Ciholas                            (812) 476-2721 voice
CIHOLAS Enterprises                     (812) 476-2881 fax
2626 Kotter Ave, Unit D                 mikec at ciholas.com
Evansville, IN 47715                    http://www.ciholas.com