[Asterisk-Users] Strange happenings

John Todd jtodd at loligo.com
Wed Aug 20 13:44:57 MST 2003

>Just idly watching * in console mode and saw that someone from
>50.49.54.102 tried to register with my *.
>
>whois gives:-
>
>OrgName:    Internet Assigned Numbers Authority
>OrgID:      IANA
>Address:    4676 Admiralty Way, Suite 330
>City:       Marina del Rey
>StateProv:  CA
>PostalCode: 90292-6695
>Country:    US
>
>NetRange:   50.0.0.0 - 50.255.255.255
>CIDR:       50.0.0.0/8
>NetName:    RESERVED-50
>NetHandle:  NET-50-0-0-0-0
>Parent:
>NetType:    IANA Reserved
>Comment:
>RegDate:
>Updated:    2002-08-23
>
>OrgTechHandle: IANA-ARIN
>OrgTechName:   Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Number
>OrgTechPhone:  +1-310-823-9358
>OrgTechEmail:  res-ip at iana.org
>
>?
>
>--
>Dave Cotton <dcotton at linuxautrement.com>

1) Using what protocol?

2) As John Brown mentions, do a tracroute to that IP from your
location.  My views show that the address you list is not in the
global BGP tables.  Spoofed single packets might hit your machines,
but they have no way of getting back unless your local routers have
static or locally learned routes to that destination.

In short: don't worry about it, probably.

JT