[Asterisk-Users] VoIP dialtone?

Mike Ciholas mikec at ciholas.com
Wed Aug 20 13:20:42 MST 2003

Hi all,

While pondering my choices for local dial tone service via a
bunch of POTS lines or a T1, I began to wonder if perhaps there
is another way.

Are there VoIP dialtone providers?  That is, could I use only my
internet connection for voice calls and not have a separate
T1/POTS bank for that?

I guess I am imagining a company that gateways between the PTSN
and the internet backbone.  Calls come in and get VoIP'ed and
sent to me as packets, perhaps IAX, perhaps something else?

First question: Does such a thing exist?  Where?

Second question: Does it work?  How well?

Third question: Would you want it?  Why?

Fourth question: How much $$$?

--
Mike Ciholas                            (812) 476-2721 voice
CIHOLAS Enterprises                     (812) 476-2881 fax
2626 Kotter Ave, Unit D                 mikec at ciholas.com
Evansville, IN 47715                    http://www.ciholas.com