[Asterisk-Users] ATA-186 locking: implausible unlock method

John Todd jtodd at loligo.com
Wed Aug 20 11:27:39 MST 2003

For those of you wanting to salvage your Cisco ATA-186 after
inadvertent locking, or after recovering your devices from a vendor
who has locked them, here is a rainy-day project for you:

http://www.sst.com/downloads/datasheet/S71077.pdf

The above document gives exact specifications on the 4mb flash EEPROM
that stores all program and configuration data on the ATA-186 (aka
Komodo.)  If you have a suitably delicate hand, a large amount of
sophisticated equipment, and some good clamps, you might be able to
erase those sections on the chip which contain the configuration
data.  Maybe.  :)  I would advise writing off a few ATA's while you
try this, and I'd also write off a few weeks of time while you
attempt it (unless, of course, you happen to be an unnamed
three-letter US government agency who is good at this particular type
of craft, and you happen to send me an anonymous email message with
instructions for the home user.  Hint hint.)

Please aim your negative karma at Cisco for creating a piece of
hardware that can be rendered useless with software.  This is against
all previous ideology of Cisco, and is a disturbing trend.

JT