[Asterisk-Users] IAX to zaptel echo

Claude Klimos claude.klimos at aheeva.com
Wed Aug 20 11:16:05 MST 2003

Hi all,

I am experiencing a problem with the quality of the voice communication
between an IAX based softphone (WinIAX) and an outside line through a
FXO port or even with a regular analog phone connected to a FXS port.
The party using the IAX softphone hears his own echo a plit of a second
after speaking. The party on the analog end does not experience any
echo. I tried to modify the KFLAG parameter in the Makefile of zaptel to
change the algorithm without results. I also tried to modify the value
of the echocancel paramter in zapata.conf (tried 32,64,yes/128,256)
without success. Note the parameter echocancelwhenbridged is set to yes.

On the other hand, when I establish a communication between two IAX
softphones, I hear no echo. This leads me to suspect the cards I am
using. I have one X100P and one TDM400P card with 2 modules enabled.

I would like to know if anyone encoutered this problem and how to
minimize/eliminate the echo, if possible. Also, we will eventually be
using a PRI with a T100P or a T400P, would the echo problem still be
present?

Regards,

Claude Klimos