[Asterisk-Users] Is Asterisk ready for "real" use?

Scott Lambert lambert at lambertfam.org
Wed Aug 20 10:30:49 MST 2003

On Wed, Aug 20, 2003 at 12:13:07PM -0500, Dave Weis wrote:

> On Wed, 20 Aug 2003, Mike Ciholas wrote:
> > I am facing a move in two months to newly renovated space.  I
> > have to decide *this week* between:
> > A) Pull LAN and phone cables, prepare to move and expand our
> > "traditional" PBX (Panasonic KX-TD1232 and VPS200).
> > or
> > B) Pull only LAN cables, go VoIP, use Asterisk as PBX.
>
> Hedge your bets, pull two cables, and try asterisk.

I always run an all Cat5 network for voice and data.  I usually try to
pull twice as many strands of Cat5 to a location as I expect to have
devices plugged in.

That way, you can just patch your voice or data circuits to anywhere.
Moving an extension is just a patch cable change and move the phone to
the new jack.  In the companies I have worked with, the only constant in
layout of users was the state of flux.

RJ11 plugs work in RJ45 jacks most of the time.  If you have
instability, crimp an RJ45 on you phone cord.

lambert at lambertfam.org