[Asterisk-Users] Is Asterisk ready for "real" use?

Mike Ciholas mikec at ciholas.com
Wed Aug 20 09:08:35 MST 2003

On Wed, 20 Aug 2003, Ernest W. Lessenger wrote:

> At 10:42 AM 8/20/2003 -0500, you wrote:
> >So, I would like to hear from those out there that have a
> >system as I've described above and tell me if I'm insane to
> >commit this direction or whether it makes sense.
>
> I'm in almost the same situation as you. However, I'm mostly
> worried that the customer service desk here will start to
> complain that they can't tell how many calls are in the queue
> any more (our current phone tells us how many calls are
> ringing, on hold, etc). Regardless, I'm very interested to hear
> your results as well as what others on the list say, and would
> like to stay in touch with you if you decide to move forward
> with Asterisk.

Needs like yours are probably why you *should* choose Asterisk.
Sounds like "there outta be a way" to do that.  Right off, I can
see keeping queue length counters and displaying them on the
phone, or perhaps having them displayed on a dynamic web page
visible to all.  You could imagine doing things as sophisticated
as "your expected wait time is X", when the queue grows over X
size, call other extensions, etc.

I am very intrigued by the flexibility Asterisk offers, but I
need to know that I can reliably just "make calls" at first.

--
Mike Ciholas                            (812) 476-2721 voice
CIHOLAS Enterprises                     (812) 476-2881 fax
2626 Kotter Ave, Unit D                 mikec at ciholas.com
Evansville, IN 47715                    http://www.ciholas.com