[Asterisk-Users] Re: Open source IP phone, maybe?

Jose Ildefonso Camargo Tolosa icamargo at unet.edu.ve
Tue Aug 19 14:06:22 MST 2003

Hi!

I think it is a great idea.

The DS80C400 needs external memory, and/or flash.  It have the Ethernet
integrated, but it is really slow (it is 8051 architecture), and yes, I
know it can go up ti 75Mhz, but only gives 18MIPS max.  I would use
ATmega128 from atmel (16MIPS at only 16Mhz), take a look at:
http://www.ethernut.de (project using mega128 with Ethernet, includes
schematics).

It can, in fact (personal experience) give about 0.7 instructions per
clock cycle (media).  About 11MIPS @ 16Mhz, or at 14.7456Mhz (for RS-232
standard speeds) 10.3MIPS.

There is a free C compiler (very good, I must add).  See:
http://winavr.sf.net OR http://www.nongnu.org/avr-libc/ Also see:
http://www.atmel.com and go the the products -> Microcontrollers -> AVR
8-bit RISC and take a look around.

Or: http://www.avrfreaks.net/ (a users web site)

If you like FPGAs and/or ASICs, you could go to: http://www.opencores.org

Hope this may help you, I would take the project, but I have no time
righ now.  Maybe in about 1.5 months, when my degree work is done.

c-ya!

Ildefonso Camargo
icamargo at unet.edu.ve
ildefonso_camargo at yahoo.com