[Asterisk-Users] Monitor application temporary hack

Jared Smith jsmith at drgutah.com
Mon Aug 18 15:04:20 MST 2003

On Mon, 2003-08-18 at 15:45, John Todd wrote:
> Don't jump to that conclusion so quickly - there are reasons one
> might want multiple files.
>
> As an example, I have found it useful in at least one case to mix two
> call legs such that each leg is a different channel in a stereo final
> recording (easier to hear who said what, especially on conference
> calls)

I don't mind having one person on the left channel and the other on the
right... (In fact, that's a pretty good idea!)  I'd just rather not have
to mix the two files afterwords.  (And yes, I've actually thought about
what I just said... it would mean creating the file in a different
format that supports stereo channels.)

> I think the proper bug to fix solution synopsis is: make Monitor
> start filling the second channel leg sound file with "silence" even
> before the second leg is picked up.  Fill all gaps (if caused by IP
> packet loss on either leg) with silence.

This is certainly the "right thing to do", whether or not we combine the
two channels inside of res_monitor.

Maybe we should make it a configuration option?  Or maybe I should just
shut my trap and go back to manually mixing the files?!?

Jared Smith