[Asterisk-Users] Re: LAN switches with PoE? PoE phones?

Mike Ciholas mikec at ciholas.com
Mon Aug 18 14:35:47 MST 2003

> From: Steven Critchfield <critch at basesys.com>
> To: asterisk-users at lists.digium.com
> Date: Mon, 18 Aug 2003 12:45:19 -0500
>
> It is possible to make your own PoE adapter built into a punch
> down block. This is if you can find an appropriate 48volt power
> supply. I built an adapter for the 7960 we had here in the
> office, but my boss preferred the wall wart idea.

Hmmm, I bet that violates the PoE specs as there is nothing
"controlling" the 48 volts.  That is, it isn't looking for a
valid PoE signature in the terminal device before it sends 48
volts down the wire.  This will surely fry some non PoE ethernet
devices.

--
Mike Ciholas                            (812) 476-2721 voice
CIHOLAS Enterprises                     (812) 476-2881 fax
2626 Kotter Ave, Unit D                 mikec at ciholas.com
Evansville, IN 47715                    http://www.ciholas.com