[Asterisk-Users] BudgeTone NAT issues

John Todd jtodd at loligo.com
Sun Aug 17 16:38:52 MST 2003

>Just for the record and to possibly help with others who get BudgeTone phones.
>
>My asterisk box is behind NAT, and I use Vonage, NuFone, and
>iconnecthere for my "POTS backhaul."
>
>On the front end I have an ATA186, a Digium TDM20, and now a BudgeTone 102.
>
>The BudgeTone definitely has issues wrt the RTP stream and NATting,
>although unfortunately I haven't yet been able to dig deeply enough
>to be greatly more specific.
>
>However, I do know that:
>
>Using NuFone as backhaul, the BudgeTone works fine except in the
>cases of the called party's line being busy.  In this case, I don't
>get any busy indication, and eventually the call "times out" at the
>NuFone end, all the while giving the user at the instrument a ring
>indication.

I am uncertain that this particular problem you describe is a
NuFone-specific problem.  I have seen similar problems with my own
IAX2 connections which don't involve NuFone, and I've had
circumstances where calls fail at the PSTN side but IAX2 and/or SIP
don't get the message, and continues to "ring" in my ear despite the
Zap line on the other end having hung up.  I am currently swamped
with bug tasks, so I suspect it will be some time before I narrow
this problem down and submit an official report with full diagnosis.
Anyone else is welcome to the task.  :)

JT