[Asterisk-Users] What is the highest quality codec I can use for recording voice messages?

WipeOut . wipeout at linuxmail.org
Fri Aug 15 10:57:25 MST 2003

> I was interested in getting the highest quality over a normal phone line
> because I want users to be able to record their messages at the highest
> quality. They do it not me hence my question about the highest quality
> codec.
>
> If for example they used VoIP software on a computer could they get higher
> quality than over a normal phone line?
>
> If they did use a normal phone line can I increase the quality of is this a
> limitation at the carriers end?
>
> Any help would be appreciated.
>
> Thanks.
> Fats.

Using alaw or ulaw over VoIP will give you best quality you are going to get over VoIP.. If your PSTN carrier is giving a bad quality line then you should probably change carrier... :)

Most prompts will be converted to GSM files anyway so that will be the quality of the end result..

I wouldn't worry about it too much, just record some and take a listen, they should be fine..

Later..