[Asterisk-Users] Running Asterisk behind NAT?

Andy Powell andy at beagles-den.demon.co.uk
Thu Aug 14 04:28:13 MST 2003

Is this not just a case of a new entry in sip.conf

EXTERNIP = <external IP>

with the code for the contact header modified to use it (if present). Then the external firewall is set to forward the rtp and 5060 to * ..

I know many people either have sip aware firewalls (as i do)  or their * box has a real IP, but the number of people requesting this feature seems to be growing by the hour.

I'm trying to get this working for quite a number of FWD users, at the moment I'm trying to fudge it with partysip... it's not very pretty and requires a linux iptables based firewall.... it's not big, it's not clever and it's certainly not funny

Andy