[Asterisk-Users] Extension and phone management bestpractices??

Devon Henderson devon at calltrex.com
Wed Aug 13 13:45:39 MST 2003

Exactly, Steven.  However, we also want the following logic to work:

Agent 1 (ext. 1234) can login (either via the telephone, or preferably, a
web interface) from either of the below locations and have calls from one or
more queues routed to their phone:
- Any phone in any of our offices
- Any external phone on the public telephone network

We have agents who work both from home and from the office.  Some agents are
always in the office, some are always at home, and some alternate between
the two.

I've thought about tying extensions to phones/locations, but I think it
would be a little too messy.  Because each agent would have multiple
extensions to deal with, tracking individual performance statistics (AHT,
AWT, schedule adherence, etc.) would become pretty convoluted.  As would
managing extensions, users, and the queues themselves.  We're expanding at
such a rapid rate that our agent population will most likely be in the
triple digits within a few months, so this is a big issue.

I'm not a programmer (there's someone else here who's going to be handling
that side of our Asterisk implementation) so I may be missing something from
this picture.. so feel free to say "Actually, you can do that easily by
using <fill in the blanks>." :)

- Devon