[Asterisk-Users] SIP NAT question

Paul Cheng asterisk at klarium.com
Wed Aug 13 13:37:50 MST 2003

Hi George,

Do you have qualify=yes set in sip.conf for your phones?

When you check sip show peers, does it give you an OK (X ms) or does it
say UNREACHABLE or UNMONITORED?

If you enable qualify=yes or qualify=[some number] then Asterisk will
poll the SIP UA every once in a while to make sure it is still
reachable. This may or may not work. In some cases, if the UA doesn't
support the SIP OPTIONS correctly, it will come back and Asterisk will
think it is unreachable until it sends another register command. In
other cases, it helps keep the ports open on the firewall.

BTW, we have successfully tested NAT with multiple user agents as you
describe with pretty much plug and play with Linksys, SMC,
Shorewall/Linux and various other NAT router/fw devices with great
success. Thus far, we've only had problems with DrayTek routers
mangling the UDP packets. In those cases, the UAs registered
successfully and all inbound calls worked, but outbound calls did not
as the UDP/RTP streams weren't getting handled correctly by the router.
They have an updated firmware that solves this problem, but we haven't
finished testing it.