[Asterisk-Users] Get faxed you faxing faxer!

James Sharp jsharp at psychoses.org
Mon Aug 11 17:48:30 MST 2003

> I always have a chuckle when I see this.
>
> it probably could if someone sorts it out, but its reqally starting to
> expect a lot.

It'll just take someone with the masochistic tendencies needed to do the
realtime DSP code for reception.  For transmission, however, things are a
bit simpler.  There's a chunk of code by the late Tony Fisher that can
negotiate and transmit group 3 fax if its run on an SGI Indy's sound
system.   I may be wrong here, but as far as I see it...it would only take
a few steps to adapt this code to give asterisk the ability to send faxes.

1) Obtain the rights to use the code. (seance, anyone? Ouija board?)
2) Rebuild the DSP filter coefficients for an 8Khz sampling instead of the
9.6Khz sampling rate the code sets the Indy's sound hardware to.  Not all
that hard, since one of the programs in the collection of code is the
coefficient generator.
3) Adapt the code to run as an asterisk application.