[Asterisk-Users] Asterisk (g729) termination on CISCO

Roman rnlmro1 at eprst.ru
Sun Aug 10 14:20:37 MST 2003

Hello All,

I looked at the codec supplied by Digium and I think that
it is G.729 Annex-B (G.729b - 8kbps). Correct me if I'm
wrong. I have also looked at the article from Cisco "VOIP
Understanding Codecs: Complexity, Hardware Support, MOS,
and Negotiation", which states that G.729b is supported on
pretty much everything except for AS5350/5400. Also that
G.729b is a "high complexity" codec that will require
twice the DSP processing. Now given all of that, has
anyone interoperated Digium (E1(4)00P, T1(4)00P) ->
Asterisk (g729b) -> CISCO termination -> PSTN. This whole
setup is for purposes of VoIP. How inter-operatable is
VoiceAge's codec with cisco's version of it?

Also in the short description of G729 on the Digium's
site, they state that "Dual Intel? Xeon 1.8GHz processors
allowed 60 concurrent calls". * seems to be multithreaded,
so anyone tried dual-AMD mobos for that? What kind of
setup would one then need to work E400P (total of 120
channels + G729)?

Looking forward to hearing from you.
Thanks, Roman