[Asterisk-Users] G.729 licensing -- an opinion

Jan Rychter jan at rychter.com
Sat Aug 9 02:34:12 MST 2003

>>>>> "Jeremy" == Jeremy McNamara <jj at nufone.net>:
 Jeremy> Jan Rychter wrote:
 >> Please try to find a better solution.

 Jeremy> The DSP Group owns G.729.  There is nothing anyone can do, they
 Jeremy> have us by the family jewels.  We use iLBC and found it to be
 Jeremy> very acceptable in quality and bandwidth usage and its free.

For what it's worth, I've settled on speex. It provides *excellent*
quality, and very good bandwidth usage. It does have a few rough edges
and doesn't work perfectly in Asterisk, but for personal use I find it
just fine.

I guess it could be problematic for larger installations, as it requires
quite a bit of CPU time.

I find it funny I've chosen a free codec over a commercial one even
though money was not really an issue.

--J.