[Asterisk-Users] ip phones and intercom/paging

John Todd jtodd at loligo.com
Fri Aug 8 11:08:25 MST 2003

Not with your phones, unless they have auto-answer (and probably not
even then.)

I have heard of people with phones that support "pager" features on
the other pair of wires in an RJ-11.  In other words, the second pair
of wires into the phone carries an audio stream that is played out
the speaker regardless of the status of the phone.

If you had phones like this, you could use the Console channel and
the audio out jack on your Asterisk server to pipe the output into
the phone system, thus creating "pager" calls to all stations.  You
would not (easily) have the ability to select individual stations.
You could just as easily pipe this output to your office PA system.

JT