[Asterisk-Users] ip phones and intercom/paging

Benjamin Miller BGMiller at dccinc.com
Fri Aug 8 06:56:16 MST 2003

It comes down to the implementation of an "auto-answer" setting.
There is an ietf draft that discusses the implementation of many new and
useful features that would support intercom/paging, etc in SIP.  But it
is only a draft at this point.
The Cisco SCCP phones do intercom by means of setting a second line on
the phone to be "autoanswer"  if/when this capability is available in
the SIP load, it will be possible with asterisk.  Some SIP phones (I
think someone mentioned the Pingtel) already support a local setting for
one line to be auto answer.  This line can be used for internal
intercom/paging purposes.