[Asterisk-Users] Sip Trunk config / Least Cost Routing

Wade Weppler weppler at wwworks-inc.com
Thu Aug 7 13:14:51 MST 2003

Ah, good idea!  I assume even a global variable could be used instead of
using db routines...

Where this doesn't work so well is when trying to implement
least-cost-routing using local calling areas spread over satellite offices.
Here's an example:

Office A has 4 Telco lines.

Office B has 4 Telco lines.

Office A and Office B have 8 station sets each.

Office A and Office B both have Asterisk boxes.

Office A and Office B are long distance calls away from each other, so they
use IAX for interoffice calls, and would also like to utilize VoIP to extend
their local calling area.

If an employee from Office A wants to make a call to someone in Office B's
local calling area, the system will need to follow the following logic:

1)	Is there a telco line available in Office B?
2)	No?  Use a local line in Office A and make a long distance call.
3)	Yes?  Place the call through a local line in Office B.
4)	Worst case, all lines are busy.  Let the user know.

Bottom line, the call has to go through without any intervention from the
user, but try the cheapest method first.

We're already written an AGI module to handle the call routing (ie. which
numbers are locally available from each Office), but I'd like to be able to
handle line availability as well.

Any idea how this could be done?

-wade