[Asterisk-Users] Semi-newbie question "Softswitch" and Asterisk - Is there a difference?

Bruce Ferrell bferrell at baywinds.org
Wed Aug 6 23:45:55 MST 2003

I've been working in the VoIP industry for just a bit over a year now...
Mostly taking care of the underlying systems.  I've now reached the
point where I'm being drawn more and more into the call processing side
of things.  My background is in computer and "classic" telephony systems
(DMS250/MTX, DSC 400, T1, channel banks. telabs analog echo supressor
modules and analog mux etc).

I've seen one commercial product recently based on openh323proxy called
a transit softswitch and now I'm looking at asterisk.

Is there a difference between what asterisk is and a softswitch?  Can
someone explain it in small words and phrases for me?

Thanks

Bruce Ferrell