[Asterisk-Users] New SIP Phone

Steve Haehnichen s-asterisk at trix.com
Wed Aug 6 14:26:44 MST 2003

-=> On Wed, 06 Aug 2003 13:38:58 -0700, George Pajari <George.Pajari at Faximum.com> said:

> My question for the list is who will be the first to report on the
> compatibility and usability of the SIPphone with Asterisk?

Well, I put in my order for the SipPhone 2-pack this morning.  It
seems to be the cheapest source anywhere for 1-piece SIP phones.

Nikotel.com (also in San Diego) sells the same phone for $100 with a
$100 calling-minutes credit.

> The functionality described in the press release suggests the phones
> are pre-configured to work with Robertson's service so one issue to
> be resolved is how to reconfigure the phones to use one's * server.

Since sipphone.com appears to make no money at all off the free SIP
directory services, they might not be inclined to lock down the
phones.

It doesn't make much sense to me, but it appears Robertson intends to
make money just selling pre-configured phone hardware.  The sample
units from Grandstream were $60 a while ago, and $75 MSRP.  Doesn't
seem like much markup, so I'm curious to see how this plays out.

I'm a total Asterisk newbie just figuring it out now, so I probably
won't be the first to get these up and running.

-Steve