[Asterisk-Users] caller display in a telco environment.

Linus Surguy linus at magrathea-telecom.co.uk
Wed Aug 6 03:41:01 MST 2003

Hi John,

I've produced this, which is my view on the Q931/PRI caller display issues.

(Due to different terminology I'm using the UK abreviation CLI, caller line
identity in the following text, but it could also be termed caller display
or ANI or 'A' Number)

There have been a number of threads recently regarding CLI both entering *
from a PRI, or being delivered from * to a PRI and in most cases this is
handled 'incorrectly' if the equipment is to be used in a telco environment.
I'm not currently that famililar with the * code, but this should help those
that are make the correct choices when making patches.

Firstly, some definitions. Q931 specifies two seperate flags, which the
'zap' libraries incorrectly bundle into the one set of 'presentation'
#defines.

The first is the presentation indicator, which has three primary values:
0 which indicates that the CLI if present is freely available for display
purposes,
1 which indicates that the user/users system has made a decision not to make
the number available for display, or
2 which indicates that the number cannot be used for display, but this is
not because of user choice action. (although the title is 'number not
available due to interworking' this doesnt mean there is not a number)
(These are in bits 7 & 6 and so take the values in the field of
0x00,0x20,0x40,0x60)

The second is the screening indicator. These values are:

0 - The user equipment has provided the number and no network equipement has
attempted to verify the number. (In all these definitions, network equipment
refers to authoritive switching systems that are part of the PSTN and can be
trusted to provide genuine information).
1 - The user equipment has provided the number and network equipment has
validated it.
2 - The user equipment has provided the number and network equipment has
rejected it.
3 - Number has been provided by authoritive network equipment.

Now, dealing first with calls arriving from a PRI. As a telco, connections
are generally classified as trusted or not trusted. Connections to a user
are always not trusted, connections using a protocol that does not support
withholding number display are not trusted and international connections are
not trusted. As far as Asterisk is concerned sensible defaults would be to
count PRI as trusted and all none PRI (SIP, IAX etc) as none trusted, but
this should be a per trunk/user configuration option (trustwithcli=yes|no?).

Thus if Asterisk is delivering a call that arrives on a PRI it should only
pass CLI if the presentation indicator is zero unless the trunk is 'trusted'
in which case the CLI can be passed in all cases, with whatever flags the
outgoing protocol allows to closely mirror the PRI flags - especially the
presentation indicator.

Secondly, dealing with calls being delivered out from Asterisk on a PRI, to
be standards compliant, (unless the call also arrived on a PRI), all calls
should send the CLI provided but marked 'number not available due to
interworking', and 'user provided not screened' - a byte value of 0x40. A
second per user/trunk configuration item should be provided
(clivalid=yes|no?) which then overrides this behaviour and then allows the
number to be delivered to the PRI with the flags set as presentation
allowed, user provided not verified, a byte value of 0x00.

Whilst the above doesnt show any code, hopefully it is enough to help!

Linus
Magrathea