[Asterisk-Users] Transitioning from existing PBX

Peter Rowell asterisk at pb.spammenot.org
Mon Aug 4 16:56:06 MST 2003

Hello -

Warning: newbie questions at 12 o'clock!

I am looking at transitioning my house from a Panasonic KXT1232 to
an asterisk-based PBX (*PBX).  We currently have 5 CO lines and
16 extensions plus ADSL with a static IP.  I have looked at the
various docs, but find I still have some questions.

1. Interface cards
    a. Should I buy a T100P + channel bank? (BTW: Why isn't this
       what is in the developer's kit, instead of the T400P?)
    b. If I am going to simply replace the Panasonic and supply
       2-wire FXS (is that correct terminology?) to the existing
       jacks, can I use the T100P with (Z-Plex 10?  model A or B?)
       and have 8 FXO and 16 FXS?  I think so, but the developer's
       kit only references FXS....
    c. Or must I buy more equipment, e.g. 4 X100P's + 4 TDM400Ps?.
    d. Are there other combinations worth considering?
    e. Others to be avoided?

2. To prevent disruption to the rest of the household, I would like
    start out with the *PBX behind the KXT -- i.e. the *PBX's CO
    lines are actually extensions on the KXT.  In this situation,
    is the *PBX (or Z-Plex) seeing FXS or FXO on its "CO" lines?
    I would guess FXS, but I'm confused.

3. If the *PBX is receiving an in-bound IP call, can it present
    it to the KXT as another CO line?  Is this trivial or
    postdoctoral stuff?

4. Any suggestions about the best way to convert 2-wire analog
    phones to IP-based?  Cisco?  Grandstream?  Xnet?  Others?

5. We have 8 Panasonic 4-wire phones with Lots O' Buttons (tm).
    What should I consider for replacements?  ADSI?  IP-phones?
    Soft IP phones?  Any opinions about features vs. price vs.
    voice quality vs. reliability? (I'm sure there are! :-) )

Thanks in advance!

   Peter

(When I spell-checked this message, Netscape suggested "epiphanies"
as a replacement for IP-phones. :-) )