[Asterisk-Users] Asterisk community input: FreeTDS (cdr_tds.c) or unixODBC (cdr_unixodbc.c) ?

Erik Anderson eanders at midco.net
Fri Aug 1 07:17:14 MST 2003

I would like some Asterisk community input:

It was requested of me to create an Asterisk FreeTDS (cdr_tds.c) module to
allow Asterisk to populate MS SQL Server (and Sybase) with CDR records.

unixODBC has been thrown around as a bright shiny button but it adds an
additional layer of DB abstraction.  That additional layer of abstraction
can cause problems when it is not necessary for our TDS (MS SQL) usage.  I
generally exchange data through as few hands as possible to eliminate
potential areas for problems.

For cdr_tds.c
Asterisk -> cdr_tds.c -> FreeTDS -> TDS Database

For cdr_unixodbc.c
Asterisk -> cdr_unixodbc.c -> unixODBC -> FreeTDS -> TDS Database
or
Asterisk -> cdr_unixodbc.c -> unixODBC -> (unixODBC driver for DB) ->
Database (Oracle, Sybase, MS SQL Server, MySQL, Postgres, etc...)

FreeTDS already has a unixODBC driver (libtdsodbc.so) so for our needs we
can use FreeTDS directly or through a additional abstraction with unixODBC.

Currently in Asterisk is the support for a CDR CSV (cdr_csv.c), cdr_mysql.c,
and I saw on the list a few weeks ago cdr_sybase.c

What would help the Asterisk community the most?  Is there really a demand
out there for anything other than
MySQL
CSV flat file
TDS (Sybase and MS SQL Server)

I have never heard the words Oracle or Postgres thrown around so I am
wondering if there is a justifiable need to support such systems.

I will do TDS.  That is a given.  However, before I go off and create
something, I want the Asterisk community input as to what their needs are.

Our needs:
Asterisk to populate a CDR table in MS SQL Server

Community needs:
xxxx??????

I agree unixODBC is a nice shiny button but the TDS need is to allow an
integration with an end MS SQL billing system.  Our need can still be
accomplished with a unixODBC but it adds an additional layer that, quite
frankly, can cause problems when we do not need it.  Bright shiny buttons
have always been a support problem when they are not always necessary.

In addition to the programming is a readme.  The readme is by far more
complicated with a unixODBC setup versus configuring 2 FreeTDS config files.

Opinions?  Desires?  Feature request?  Regardless this work will be released
open source to the Asterisk community.

Erik