[Asterisk-Users] PBX Console

Bluedemon bluedemon at merlintechs.com
Mon Apr 28 07:26:35 MST 2003

I think we are all going about this the wrong way.  Web interfaces are too
clunky, vnc isn't all that and gastman isn't good in a business setting.
Lets face it, in most call centers the average operater is an idiot.   What
we have done to currently fix the situation is use the same interface that
gastman uses(manager.c) with an idiot proof interface and added
functionality to the manager interface.

The best way to do this would be to add much flexibility and scalability
into manager.c.  We are using an older version of the manager.c.  In this
version there was an array of structures that contained the action name,
security level and a function pointer that pointed to the correct function
based on the action given to it by the client.  Its a bit more complicated
that that but thats the gist of it.  This made it easy for us to add in our
own functions into manager.c and set up a regristration model so that when
your app is loaded you can register any functions with the manager.

With that said it not all that difficult to make your own client that
communicates with the manager.  We are just using a perl tcl/tk client that
will work on both unix and windows machines.  Once you set up the socked
connection its as simple as sending "\r\n" terminated commands to the
manager.  For example here is what you would send to get a response from a
built in ping command.
"Action: Ping\r\n" and you should get back something like "Pong\r\n" "\r\n"
from the server.

So it would be really nice to have a more scalable version of manager.c and
proper/easier documentation that would help programmers or perl/python
scripters :-) to communicate with the manager.  What would make it even
better would be a group based security schema, a flexible regristration
interface for apps/modules  and possibly a built in scripting language so
that manager.c doesn't have to be changed an recompiled for custom apps.