[Asterisk-Users] Re: two computers set up ... now what?

Patrick idefix at puzzled.xs4all.nl
Fri Apr 25 02:56:44 MST 2003

On Fri, 2003-04-25 at 04:15, Jon Pounder wrote:
> At 06:37 PM 4/24/2003 -0500, you wrote:
> >X100P is one FXS port
>
> no it is not - it is 1 x fxo port
> it is signalled using fxs signalling, but the port is an fxo.
>
> yes you are correct in your assumptions about the tdm card or any of the
> other options Wade or I mentioned.
>
> To clarify the port names - they are named by what plugs into them. O hooks
> to the central Office S hooks to your Station (phone) The signalling type
> used is the device the port appears as to the other end of the line. eg:
> the FXO card appears to the CO as a station so it signals using FXS signalling.
>
> Clear as mud now ?

Uhm, is this what you mean (newbie myself)?

analog phone => FXS port/card - PC+Asterisk - FXO port/card => Telco
             <= FXO signalling               FXS signalling =>

Rather muddy indeed :) Imho it would be nice if newbie proof 101's on
FXS/FXO/Signalling/"what's the channelbank got to do with it" were part
of the draft Handbook.

For the less knowledgeable amongst us: I have put some docs I found at
Alcatel's site up at http://www.laimbock.com/dl/asterisk

Regards,
Patrick