[Asterisk-Users] PBX Console

steve steve at szmidt.org
Wed Apr 23 16:30:43 MST 2003

On Wednesday 23 April 2003 18:57, Steven Critchfield wrote:
> On Wed, 2003-04-23 at 17:40, steve wrote:
> > On Wednesday 23 April 2003 16:29, Steven Critchfield wrote:
> > > On Wed, 2003-04-23 at 14:28, steve wrote:
> >
> > typical PBX, and frankly Auto Attendant is in the minority use.
>
> This must be a difference in who we talk to. I rarely if ever get
> to talk to a human unless I'm at an endpoint of a call. Of course
> this says nothing about the fact that there is a great number of
> users using asterisk currently and are happy with it. And as I
> said before, this doesn't mean we couldn't use what you propose.

I don't mind AA myself but I've run into many who don't like it. Of
the sales I've seen many outfits try to compete for their customers
by keeping the personal touch and dropping AA. I may very well be a
bit out of touch with mainstream. Either way an easy to use console
is high on my wishlist.

> > > This gui version, are you refering to gastman? if so, it is
> > > able to be run remotely. I run it on a free monitor here so I
> > > can track system usage. I rarely use it for call routing.
> >
> > Yes, but in order to forward X to another machine X has to run
> > on the server, thus slowing down the server. Using 729 will eat
> > enough horsepower by itself.
>
> BZZT. wrong. Try this again. X does not need to be running on a
> machine to serve an X app. Secondly gastman, the current closest
> thing to what you propose, uses a tcp/ip communications channel
> to tell asterisk what to do and keep up to date as to what is
> going on. There is a windows native version of this software,
> more proof of no need for X on the server.

Hmm. I'm talking about a remote X session. Or rather now, was. I did
not know it could be done any other way. Cool! Now if we can have
it look like a console and allow easy keyboard control too I'd be
all set. : )

--

Steve Szmidt
HTML in e-mail is not safe. It let's spammers know to spam you more,