[Asterisk-Users] SIP to MGCP transcoding

Michael Van Donselaar mvand at neb.rr.com
Sun Apr 20 11:01:34 MST 2003

On Sat, 19 Apr 2003 23:28:17 -0400, you wrote:

>Do you have allow=gsm in mgcp.conf?  Do you have the X-Lite set to deal
>with GSM? What shows on the Asterisk CLI when you call SIP to MGCP using
>GSM?

I had disallow=gsm in mgcp.conf because the DG-104S doesn't support gsm.
It only supports ulaw,alaw and g729.

If I have any combination of the DG-104S, X-Lite SIP phone, MSN
Messenger, and a Quicknet PhoneJack on the asterisk box dialled into a
meetme room all works fine.  Asterisk is apparently transcoding.  I had
_hoped_ that asterisk would step in to transcode MGCP <=> SIP traffic.

Is asterisk _supposed_ to transcode between ulaw and gsm for SIP <=>
MCGP calls (and I will then monkey with the config files some more), or
is this not the expected behavior?