[Asterisk-Users] Redhat vs Mandrake.

William Walsh william at wxw.org
Fri Apr 18 03:06:50 MST 2003

On Thu, 2003-04-17 at 20:22, Steven Critchfield wrote:
> On Thu, 2003-04-17 at 21:37, William Walsh wrote:
> > I just knew when I started reading this it was going to be a pro-debian
> > post.
> >
> > It's one thing about debian users that really annoys me....
>
> While I was pro debian, I was also pro slackware and pro gentoo. I also
> mentioned that I suggest RH and Mandrake to new users.
>
> I didn't go into the pros or cons of debain,slackware or gentoo. I just
> said they where good.
>
> Could you find fault with my comments, or where you upset I said them?

My problem is that whenever I see the following (VERY FALSE) statement
made, it is ALWAYS by a Debian user:

> If you have knowledge of unix systems or linux, you should be far
> enough along to make your own decisions. If you aren't that far along,
> Redhat and Mandrake are shooting for the desktop market, and Redhat
> has a seperate section shooting at servers. Both are really aimimg at
> windows converts. In shooting for those markets, both have a tendency
> to insulate the user from what is going on. This becomes a problem
> when you need to know how to dig in and solve problems. With as much
> as I personally dislike both of them, I tend to recomend them to a
> user who is just coming out of the windows world, but I caveat it with
> a comment regarding them as stepping stones to more powerful systems.

As you said, no need to get into a distro war, but this comment is so
hugely false, and so widely spread around by what I can only categorize
as "Debian Evangelists" to show how little impartiality they apply to
their judgments, that yes, it annoys me, and turns me off to the debian
community at large as a result.

--
William Walsh <william at wxw.org>
Jabber: william at wxw.biz