[Asterisk-Users] Xten / SIP Phones compared to GnoPhones

William Walsh william at wxw.org
Thu Apr 17 21:07:06 MST 2003

On Thu, 2003-04-17 at 20:43, Uriel Carrasquilla wrote:
> I have seen a couple of messages on the Xten and the work done by
> William Walsh (Kudos).  It is not clear in my mind the advantages of
> SIP phones versus using GnoPhones (once we complete the work for the
> Windows version).  Since I lack the experience with IP SIP phones, can
> someone, high level, tell me when it makes sense to use them.  Is it
> complicated to set up on the Asterisk side?
> Thank you.
> Uriel

Because they exist here and now, and a working IAX Client for Windows is
still vaporware.  Lots of talk, but very little resembling any momentum
toward that goal.

Given a good, fully functional, IAX client, that would be much
preferable.  The call quality is noticeable when I compare the quality
of a sip call (from one * box to another) to an iax call (same * box to
same remote * box), and I'd use IAX hands down.

But there is just no real work being done in the IAX4Windows front  :)

So we have to go with what works.

Now, I've since given up on using software phones, and am using the new
TDM400 card from digium here.  But I still plan to continue monitoring
the softphone market.  Perhaps I should post up a page with a small
review of them all, since I have used most of them in the last few
months in my efforts to find one that met my needs.

--
William Walsh <william at wxw.org>
Jabber: william at wxw.biz