[Asterisk-Users] X100P question

Steven Critchfield critch at basesys.com
Thu Apr 17 07:09:56 MST 2003

On Thu, 2003-04-17 at 08:42, JKNUTSEN at UP.COM wrote:
> I have just started developing asterisk, and am trying to start simple.  I
> have a X100P device and an S100U device.  I am trying to use the examples
> provided, where I add a few lines to the /etc/zaptel.conf,
> /etc/asterisk/zapata.conf, and /etc/asterisk/extensions.conf so that I may
> connect an analog line to the X100P and an analog phone to the S100U.  When
> I dial the analog line, it should ring the phone.  My problem is that when
> I connect the analog line to the X100P, I receive a busy tone when dialing
> it.  I have switched tip and ring and still have the same result.  Also, I
> receive no dialtone from the S100U.
>
> When I run asterisk, I receive two warning messages, both have number 8192
> associated with them (not sure if that's significant).  The first one
> reads:  File chan_iax2.c, line 4952 (set_config): ignoring ports for now.
> ==Registered channels type 'IAX2'
> ==Using TOS bits 16
> ==IAX ready and listening on 0.0.0.0 port 4569
>
> The second one reads:  File chan_oss.c line 419 (soundcard_init):  unable
> to open /dev/dsp: no such device
> ==No sound card detected - - console channel will be unavailable
> ==Turn off OSS support by adding 'noload=chan_oss.so'
>
> Asterisk still runs and recognizes both channels when I run command "zap
> show channel 1" and "zap show channel 2", even with these warnings.  I have
> also went into /etc/asterisk/modules.conf and added the lines
> noload=chan_iax2.so and noload=chan_oss.so, which took care of the
> warnings, but I'm not sure if that will introduce problems later on.
>
> I am wondering if there is some sort of initialization that needs to be
> done with the Zaptel devices?  The steps that I followed were off the *
> support site, under the FAQ "I just received my DevKit Lite.  What should I
> do now, and can you please show me."

I'll answer the easy parts for you. Unless you wish to use a soundcard
as a console device on asterisk, not loading the chan_oss will be fine.
As for IAX2, unless you are connecting to another asterisk box with
IAX2, it is okay to not load it as well. Just try to remember to look
there if you ever do want to connect multiple asterisk boxes together.

Now for the harder part. When you call you asterisk machine, do you see
any indications in the asterisk console that it received a call? I ask
this since asterisk could return a busy tone to you if it was unable to
complete the call to the S100U. Have you tried getting the the call into
the X100P to go to some voice prompts to verify this one piece.