[Asterisk-Users] Channel Banks

Steven Critchfield critch at basesys.com
Thu Apr 10 08:20:37 MST 2003

On Thu, 2003-04-10 at 09:17, Judson Lester wrote:
> What has been the experience of people regarding buying channel banks?

If you are buying new, know that they can be expensive. If you are
buying from ebay, you may want to have the T1 card in hand already so
you can test the CB on arrival. One of the CBs my boss bought has either
a burnt out ring generator, or a non-standard FXS like interface. We
have also picked up a zhone for it's FXS ports and been happy with it if
it is left alone. We picked up an abandoned Adit600 and it works
perfectly. I bought a Adit 600 on ebay for under $300 with battery
backup and it works fine. I know Digium has in it's possesion, or access
to a lot of the Adtran hardware, and demos with adtran hardware. One of
these days I'll try my Premisys dual T1 channel bank to see if it is
worth having.

> What should one expect to pay for a single T1 bank?
> Are there interoperability issues with *?

Since the signaling standards for T1 are 30+ years old, if the device is
able to function, asterisk should be able to control it.

> I've also been attracted by the Rhino channel bank
> (www.channelbanks.com) and was wondering if anyone had any experience
> with them.

I don't know the price on them so I can not comment on whether it is a
good deal. But for a one off project even if it is in the office, I'd
suggest Ebay.