[Asterisk-Users] I must be alone

Uriel Carrasquilla uriel at adelphia.net
Mon Apr 7 20:21:23 MST 2003

Hi everyone (Mark, Jim).  I am new to the list but thanks to both Mark and
Jim, I have being using "asterisk" since summer 2001.  I am just updating my
version that was a year old.  Yes, I know, I got busy with other things like
paying bills so I don't have to sleep with the dog anymore.

Anyway,  one of the frustrations I have been dealing with (keep in mind that
my version of asterisk (it was called -ng), libpri, zaptel and zapata are
old) is that they leave the lines open (loopstart lines using the kwelstart
in asterisk and zapata) when I receive a call from the PSTN and the asterisk
PBX creates a bridge to connect to another line (PSTN) going out.  No phones
involved.  I have the old Zapata/Tormenta ISA T1's (great job done by Jim)
and I am using my unit as a PBX at home.  I found that we were not ready for
prime time yet so I have been waiting.  The channel bank I use is the Atlas
TA 750 with both FXO and FXS cards.
I never had this problem when I had loopstart lines from the PSTN for
incoming calls and trunks (groundstart) lines for terminating calls in the
PSTN.  I just placed an order for those lines at home and I am going to have
to pay big time because they are putting a T1 into my house just for this
purpose (and charge me the installation but not the monthly, I hope in time
I can convert to a PRI-ISDN).
I also use the Wildcards (both USB and PCI versions) in another unit I have
in Colombia plus one in Jamaica.

If that was not enough, I do have an anoying problem when I am on a VoIP
call to another unit.  When a call comes in from the PSTN and it is taken
by, say my wife (the dog has not learned how to answer yet), I find that
consistently the VoIP goes simplex (i.e. the other side (with asterisk and
either wildcards or Tormenta) end up loosing reception.

am I alone?

Thank you guys.
(Jim, by the way, if you are out there, I still got you defined in iax).